[syslinux] Dell problems with PXELINUX 3.62

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:23:56 PST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 1:06 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 01/11/2010 07:05 AM, Lindgren Daniel wrote:
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Since you have a working and a non-version version, it would be useful
> if you could determine which prerelease broke things:
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/Obsolete/
>
> or, equivalently, if you're familiar with "git" you can do a "git
> bisect".  That would help immensely in narrowing down the problem.

As a workaround, have you tried it without menu.c32?  It's less
convenient but might make a difference.  If so, you could try a custom
config just for the GX280s, using MAC or UUID to recognize them.

-Workaround: Test older BIOS revisions with pxelinux.0 v3.62 or v3.84,
assuming something else doesn't break.  Dell does have most/all of
them posted and you can read the release notes in the Dell support
site.

-Stay as you are at 3.61 but be careful mixing components from
different versions (I believe HPA warned about the potential of issues
at one point)

Learning to do a "git bisect" isn't too hard but does require reading.
 It took me a few hours from knowing nothing about git to being able
to bisect and test for an issue with a GX620 running A11 in the exact
same version slot (3.61 - 3.62).

--
-Gene

"No one ever says, 'I can't read that ASCII E-mail you sent me.'"