[syslinux] Dell problems with PXELINUX 3.62

Lindgren Daniel daniel.lindgren at tullverket.se
Tue Jan 12 03:15:21 PST 2010

> As a workaround, have you tried it without menu.c32?  It's
> less convenient but might make a difference.  If so, you
> could try a custom config just for the GX280s, using MAC or
> UUID to recognize them.

I pretty much have to use (vesa)menu.c32 since I have more then 12
submenus (F1-F12 isn't enough).

As far as I can tell, the problem is in pxelinux.0, but it's probably
too early to say for sure.

> -Workaround: Test older BIOS revisions with pxelinux.0 v3.62
> or v3.84, assuming something else doesn't break.  Dell does
> have most/all of them posted and you can read the release
> notes in the Dell support site.

Reverting to an older BIOS might cause other problems, I'd rather stay
with an older SYSLINUX.

> -Stay as you are at 3.61 but be careful mixing components
> from different versions (I believe HPA warned about the
> potential of issues at one point)

That could hold us over until we retire all GX280's. Using memdisk from
3.84 (with ISO support) with 3.61 doesn't seem to cause any problems.

> Learning to do a "git bisect" isn't too hard but does require reading.
>  It took me a few hours from knowing nothing about git to
> being able to bisect and test for an issue with a GX620
> running A11 in the exact same version slot (3.61 - 3.62).

Interesting, we also have a bunch of GX620's. Has your issue been
resolved in later versions?

Cheers,
Daniel