[syslinux] Dell problems with PXELINUX 3.62

Lindgren Daniel daniel.lindgren at tullverket.se
Tue Jan 12 03:20:21 PST 2010

> I can throw this out there to help your troubleshooting: At
> my work, we currently have 100s of Dell Optiplex GX280s with
> that same bios version working with the pxelinux.0 and
> vesamenu.c32 from version 3.75 (since about May 2009). I'm
> pretty sure we were using 3.62 or 3.63 for about a year
> before that but I can't be certain which. Whatever the
> problem your having is it probably not inherent solely to
> pxelinux.0 and all GX280s. I know its not much help, but its
> something. Jeremy Collins

I tried switching to vesamenu.c32 (from 3.84) and all I got was a blank
screen on my GX280 and on a VMWare ESX 4.0 virtual machine it stopped at

UI vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0
TOTALTIMEOUT 9000
ONTIMEOUT BOOTHD

MENU TITLE PXE menu
MENU MASTER PASSWD <removed>

LABEL 14b
    MENU LABEL Windows XP, DHCP
    KERNEL memdisk
    APPEND keeppxe initrd=images/install/w98_aterm_xp_current.IMZ

Still just a blank screen/no loading. Changed back to menu.c32 (3.61)
and everything worked as it should.

Cheers,
Daniel