[syslinux] Dell problems with PXELINUX 3.62

Lindgren Daniel daniel.lindgren at tullverket.se
Tue Jan 12 22:57:11 PST 2010

> I'm a little unclear from your response about something. When
> you changed versions did you change all 3 pieces (pxelinux.0,
> memdisk, and
> vesamenu.c32/menu.c32) each time so that when you tested all
> the pieces were from the same the version? If you didn't can
> you try doing that; mismatched versions don't usually play
> well together. Also I doubt it's the BIOS version, even
> though it's the newest advailable it was released in 2006 so
> it is actually older than the syslinux version. I'm fairly
> certain our machines would have had that bios version when we
> were using 3.6x (and probably earlier realeases). Jeremy

Yes, all components have been from 3.84 when I've tested vesamenu.c32,
not that it ever got as far as loading memdisk, either a blank screen
(GX280) or failure to load default (VMWare). Switching to menu.c32 fixes
the problem every time.

When I've been testing 3.6x I have used memdisk from 3.84 because I need
the recently added ISO support and pxelinux.0/menu.c32 from the tested
version.

We have 17 different PC models and as far as I can see only GX280 has
problems with 3.62-pre7 (and later versions), which is a strong
indicator that the problem is BIOS and/or model related.

Cheers,
Daniel