[syslinux] How to run server side script from boot menu selection ?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jan 13 11:38:52 PST 2010

On 01/13/2010 08:42 AM, Moody Ahmad wrote:

> Is this possible? I have looked through the pxelinux and syslinux documentation on the menu options and haven't seen a way to execute a server side script. The script needs a few variable like the mac address and assigned dhcp ip address for the client. I would like to do the script in bash or perl.

Well, normally you wouldn't find documentation how to execute a
*server*-side script in the *client* documentation, now would you...

The answer is that you need a server that supports scripting.  Few TFTP
servers do, but most HTTP servers do.  This isn't inherent to the
protocols, but is more of an accident of history (at least until Apache
grows TFTP support, which it probably will at some point.)  So if you
can use gpxelinux.0, then you can use an http server.  Otherwise, there
are a few hacked TFTP servers around.