[syslinux] pxelinux and WDS

Julien Garet julien.garet at inria.fr
Thu Jan 21 16:09:33 PST 2010

Le 21 janv. 2010 à 23:26, Erwan <erwan at seanodes.com> a écrit :

> Julien Garet a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> We are trying to set up a configuration with pxelinux on a linux
>> machine and WDS, allowing us to be free to boot linux netboot
>> installers from the tftp server. We have validated that pointing
>> our dhcp server to the wds server works perfectly. Our idea was to
>> use pxechain.com to launch the wdsnbp.com kernel as below :
>> label windows
>>        KERNEL pxechain.com
>>        APPEND <ip address>::\Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com
>>
>> wdsnbp.com loads perfectly from the WDS server but our problem is
>> that WDS uses dhcp to find which is the next server to load the
>> next part of the WDS boot process (pxeboot.com) and as the dhcp
>> next-server points to our linux server it does not work, there's a
>> loop. I thought that it was the work of pxechain (i.e. rewrite the
>> next server in memory to prevent making those kinds of loops).
>>
>> We have seen that this set up as been reported successful by some
>> people over the internet. Have we missed an option in the dhcpd
>> config or elsewhere to allow this configuration to work ?
>>
> Hey florent,
>
> That's very surprising as I did exactly the same for installing
> Windows 2008 servers and it worked very nice.

Yes I read it on your blog. That's why I was surprised it didn't work
for us.

> Are you sure that pxechain.com is coming from the same version as
> your pxelinux.0 ?

Yes, it is, both are taken from the same package. Do you think it
might help if I recompile a spefic version of syslinux ?

> If yes, what release are you using ?
>
> Another question about your DHCP. Does the dhcp server runs on a
> linux host or on the windows one ? If its running under linux, what
> product/release are you using ?
> Could you show us its configuration ?
>
> Erwan,

We are running dhcp and pxelinux on centos 5 boxes, package is from
rpmforge repo and version is 3.84, I think (centos official repos
contain 3.11 version)

I will post configuration related to pxe in dhcpd.conf as soon as I
get to the office.

Julien