[syslinux] pxelinux and WDS

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Mon Jan 25 05:36:57 PST 2010

--On Friday, January 22, 2010 04:46:01 PM +0100 Julien Garet
<julien.garet at inria.fr> wrote:

># Modif 1
> option PXE.class-identifier code 60 = string;

This is incorrect; PXE defines no such vendor option.

>     vendor-option-space PXE;
>     option PXE.class-identifier = PXEClient;

I'm surprised the DHCP server even starts with this; you've declared
PXE.class-identifier to be a string, but then not provided one.

In any case, this is your problem.  There is no "PXE.class-identifier".
The option you want, which is missing, is:

option vendor-class-identifier "PXEClient";

Without this, WDSNBP will not recognize the cached DHCP response as valid
and will send a new request.  I'm a bit surprised it even gets as far as
trying to download pxeboot.com from the DHCP server, since the new response
will _also_ not contain the correct vendor class.\

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <jhutz+ at cmu.edu>