[syslinux] isohybrid question

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Jul 2 10:09:24 PDT 2010

Hi,

hpa wrote:
> There are some claims of boot failures with the 0-based MBR that
> isohybrid uses by default. However, without creating a whole separate
> metadata tree that's the only way to get a valid iso9660 filesystem.

Well, my offer stands to make an attempt for
that as soon as a skilled tester shows up.

My own skills are about the filesystem and
El Torito only. MBR knowledge is on wikipedia
level. So the tester(s) would have to contribute
a vulnerable computer system and the necessary
skills about Syslinux resp. the final OS.
Especially the ability to determine at what step
of booting it fails eventually.
(The vulnerable computer might be replacable
 by extra deep insight into Syslinux debugging.
 We'd just need some reliable benchmark for
 success.)

xorriso has means to compare ISO subtrees with
disk subtrees. So we could test data integrity
beyond bootability.

The waste of media space will be moderate.
The directory tree of a backup with 55,000
files has 14 MB. A typical LiveCD has only a
few hundred files.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas