[syslinux] extlinux-4.0 can't boot on our platform.

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 09:18:57 PDT 2010

2010/7/7 孤云独闲 <tomsunchen at gmail.com>:
> Hi Feri:
>    the extlinux.conf is as following:
>     prompt 0
>     timeout 1
>
>   default vesamenu.c32

[snip]

> i do the above steps on two platform, i found one can boot, the other can't
> boot, then i copy  /boot/extlinux on platform that can boot  to /boot/ on
> platform that can't boot, the i execute command "extlinux -U /boot/extlinux"
> . when reboot, it can boot,
> i don't know why? what is it relation to ?
>
> many thanks!
>

> 2010/7/7 Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu>
>
>> 孤云独闲 <tomsunchen at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > the system can't boot, the screen show tips "No DEFAULT or UI
>> > configuration directive found!"
>> >
>> > do you tell me why and what i do next?
>>
>> Maybe you should check whether the above tip is right or not.  What is
>> in your extlinux.conf?

It looks like the file you prepared has a DEFAULT directive (but
vesamenu.c32 is better in a UI directive to allow for another default
label/module).

Could you post the results of `fdisk -l /dev/sda`?  Are you certain
sda2 is the active partition?  It sounds as if it found a file but
didn't find a DEFAULT or UI directive and probably didn't find the
file you wanted to use.  If I recall from last time, you had /dev/sda1
active but didn't specify its contents.  It's possible that EXTLINUX
or SYSLINUX is installed there and has a configuration file.

So sda2 is normally mounted as '/', with directories '/boot' and
'/boot/extlinux' and files '/boot/extlinux/extlinux.sys' and
'/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf' within that filesystem?
'/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf' is the file that you pasted into your
last email?

--
-Gene