[syslinux] lua: Modernize the Makefile

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Jul 9 02:43:37 PDT 2010

Op 20100702 om 11:50 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
> On 07/02/2010 11:38 AM, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > Op 20100702 om 11:21 schreef syslinux-bot for H. Peter Anvin:
> >>
> >> lua: Modernize the Makefile
> >       <bigsnip/>
> >> -liblua.a: $(LIBLUA_OBJS)
> >> +$(LIBLUA) : $(LIBLUA_OBJS)
> >> +	rm -f $@
> >>  	$(AR) cq $@ $^
> >>  	$(RANLIB) $@
> >
> > FWIW: Today I also found that missing `rm -f $@`
> >

> It's a common problem; a lot of people don't even know that "ar" was
> designed as a file archive, not as a library manager.

For me it did mean that when I updated dmi.o
I did NOT get my changes in lua.c32.

What I understand from it, is that my new dmi.o was added to a liblua.a
that had allready a dmi.o. The linker choose a previous dmi.o and ignored
the new one ...

With the `rm -f $@` I had dmi working in lua.c32.
I had it probably working a longer time, but didn't see it due the
"build error".

My 'FIXME' warning in com32/lua/src/dmi.c is no longer needed.
Patch attached.

Stappers