[syslinux] atftpd versus tftpd-hpa

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 10:36:40 PDT 2010

It seems that tftpd-hpa is more suitable at serving arbitrarily large
files (greater than 65535 blocks long; with pxelinux.0 using a default
block size of 1408 this is 92,273,280 bytes) as atftpd will complain
in the log stating "Requested file to big, increase BLKSIZE".  I saw
that a while back HPA mentioned that atftpd was probably more scalable
(number of clients) while tftpd-hpa is more portable.  It looks like
tftpd-hpa supports block number rollover while atftpd doesn't seem to
(unless it's a runtime option that I can't find or a compile time
option).

On the flip side, files this big are probably more suitably handled by
another means (gpxelinux.0 rather than pxelinux.0 with the large data
files on a standard web server).

--
-Gene