[syslinux] booting clonezilla *.iso via PXE fails

Miller, Shao shao.miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Sat Jul 10 09:38:20 PDT 2010

Good day Helmut,

I believe that Clonezilla is a Linux distribution.  For Linux to use a
MEMDISK, it requires a MEMDISK driver.  It is only just recently that H.
Peter produced a Linux utility (utils/memdiskfind) which assists one in
using Linux' phram.ko and mtdblock.ko kernel modules to access a MEMDISK
from Linux.  Some detail may be found here[1].

I am also hoping to complete a Linux MEMDISK driver, independent of the
aforementioned MTD drivers.

That explains "Unable to find a medium containing a live file system."

FreeDOS is an INT 0x13 consumer, so MEMDISK's INT 0x13 hook works just
fine by itself and no extra driver is needed...  For MEMDISK hard disk
and floppy disk emulation, that is.  For a CD/DVD (.ISO), you will wish
to use the ElTorito.Sys DOS driver, included with Syslinux in the
dosutil/ directory.

Your other two errors where ISOLINUX 4.0x is encountering an error are
most likely due to MEMDISK's incomplete El Torito support.  ISOLINUX
4.0x is more thorough with its expectations for sanity than ISOLINUX
3.86, so now MEMDISK's El Torito needs to catch up. :)  H. Peter and I
have already discussed some of what needs to happen, so I hope it won't
be long!

With apologies for the delay to satisfying your MEMDISK El Torito needs,

- Shao Miller