[syslinux] booting clonezilla *.iso via PXE fails

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Sat Jul 10 14:09:00 PDT 2010

Hallo, Shao,

Du meintest am 10.07.10:

> Hmmm... :)  I'm confused about your versions now.  Since ISOLINUX is
> _inside_ the .ISO, it can be a different version than the PXELINUX
> and MEMDISK used.  Could you possibly clarify, per scenario:

> - The PXELINUX version used
> - The MEMDISK version used
> - The ISOLINUX version used by the .ISO

My PXE server: updated to syslinux 4.01-pre1 - no other behaviour.

The clonezilla isos: "wrapped" from Ubuntu into *.iso

The "karmic" clonezilla version has the syslinux-3.84 packet (and uses
"union=aufs"), the "lucid" clonezilla version has the syslinux-3.86
packet.

The "isolinux.cfg" ("karmic" version) on the iso has the block

# Since no network setting in the squashfs image, therefore if
# ip=frommedia, the network is disabled. That's what we want.

label Clonezilla live
  MENU DEFAULT
  # MENU HIDE
  MENU LABEL Clonezilla live (Default settings, VGA 1024x768)
  # MENU PASSWD
  kernel /live/vmlinuz
  append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live union=aufs  hostname=karmic quiet noswap nolocales edd=on ocs_live_run="ocs-live-general" ocs_live_extra_param="" ocs_live_keymap="" ocs_live_batch="no" ocs_lang="" video=uvesafb:mode_option=1024x768-32 ip=frommedia  nosplash

It contains the file "live/filesystem.squashfs" which seems to be called
somehow from the "initrd"; that looks like the Knoppix/Debian/Ubuntu way
to boot from CD.

> I had assumed that you had re-mastered these .ISOs to use ISOLINUX
> 4.0x. This assumption might have been a mistake.

Yes - wrong assumption. I like to boot *.iso via memdisk - it's nearly
no work to include a new CD.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut