[syslinux] LOCALBOOT information

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jul 13 07:38:26 PDT 2010

Hi,

We have been testing the localboot functionality today and it could be
useful if localboot was a com32 module rather than a configuration
directive so that one can use it on the boot prompt, rather than require a
menu entry/alias at all times.

A more userfriendly localboot.c32 could do this and allow eg for friendly
device-names.

 	localboot next
 	localboot floppy0
 	localboot hdd0

or something that makes more sense technically. And give a list of
possibilities when invoked without options ? (Just freewheeling)

We did notice on an HP Proliant ML 350 G6 that after booting syslinux from
a USB stick:

  - localboot -1 booted caused to reload from the USB stick again
  - a consecutive localboot -1 caused a PXE boot

I remember other people having issues with localboot in the past, but I
had expected newer hardware to work flawlessly ;-)

Any insights so we can update the Wiki ?