[syslinux] Hardware detection before booting heavy weight OS

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue Jul 13 08:40:08 PDT 2010

Previous-Subject: constants and line continuation

Op 20100713 om 16:21 schreef Dag Wieers:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Jim Cromie wrote:

>>> Not supported in the current version, sorry, but it will happen eventually.
>>
>> is this a good application for lua ?
>>
>> if lua is 'ready' when the config is requested and downloaded,
>> the file could contain lua code that is run to produce all the
>> menus, kernels, append-lines etc.
>
> Yes, my preference would be to allow for a syslinux.lua instead of a
> syslinux.conf that would replace the syslinux.conf.

My preference is that Syslinux stays a mean and lean bootloader.

That allows making a  syslinux.conf that contains

   kernel lua.c32
   append syslinux.lua

or more likely

   kernel lua.c32
   append preboot.lua

> That way you can make the menu entries and boot-options depend on:
>
>  - system information (DMI, VPD, PCI, HDD, filesystem labels, HDT info)
>  - boot conditions (eg. boot-device, syslinux version, ...)
>  - ask for certain information from the user
>
> In previous projects it would have been invaluable for projects. If for
> provisioning you have more information you can act on at that stage, you
> don't need to modify original vendor-supplied boot-images. Or you can
> automatically have syslinux follow a work-flow like:
>
>  - check if I see more than one HD to make RAID and reboot
>  - perform network connectivity and hardware validation tests and reboot
>  - perform OS installation
>
> Especially if we can set and read state information (maybe using VPD or
> MBR), each of the steps could update the state to influence what needs to
> happen next.

I think such preboot scripts will pop-up.
Thing that worries me, is how long we will wait for each other.

Geert Stappers