[syslinux] EDD errors from extlinux on USB

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Tue Jul 13 13:40:10 PDT 2010

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> On 07/13/2010 12:44 PM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> I got this from my digital camera with Syslinux compiled from source
>> (yes, I've got a configuration file with a UI directive):
>>
>> SYSLINUX 4.02 pre-1-g0ee5047 CHS Copyright (C) 199...
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 0
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 2252244088
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 2252244089
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 2252244090
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 2252244091
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 2252244092
>> ERROR: No configuration file found
>> No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
>> boot:
>>
>> Extlinux 4.00 pre47 boots my pendrive in the same computer.
>> I'll try to test the same version with my digital camera as well.

I did, with pretty much the same result (with less informational error
messages).

> Error 01 is "invalid function".
>
> What is really interesting is that the assembly self-loader detected
> this system as CHS, while the C code detected it as EDD ... and
> apparently EDD wasn't implemented, after all!
>
> I have had in the code the following comment:
>
> /*** XXX: Consider falling back to CHS here?! ***/
>
> ... but I wasn't sure it would be necessary.  Looks like it will be.
> Let me hack up a patch that I can ask you to test.

I'll probably get a chance tomorrow.

>> DMI information attached.
>
> What system and BIOS is this?

What else could I add beyond the dmidecode output?

But let me stress again that the same computer boots my pendrive
(carrying Syslinux 4.00 pre47) perfectly.  I don't dare to test the
pendrive with current git Syslinux, because if that failed, I'd lose my
access to this computer (and I'm in a far village spending holidays).

Okay, after looking at it some more, I found a clue: my Olympus digital
camera is actually recognized by this BIOS as a removable (floppy)
drive, not as an HDD!  This certainly confuses Syslinux.  My pendrive is
correctly recognized as an HDD, and I found no BIOS option to change the
type of the USB storage device.  I wonder what the decision of the BIOS
is based on...
Feri.