[syslinux] EDD errors from extlinux on USB

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed Jul 14 00:24:39 PDT 2010

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> On 07/13/2010 01:40 PM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> What else could I add beyond the dmidecode output?
>
> dmidecode is fine.

Does it mean you got the attachment, or that it would be fine?

>> But let me stress again that the same computer boots my pendrive
>> (carrying Syslinux 4.00 pre47) perfectly.  I don't dare to test the
>> pendrive with current git Syslinux, because if that failed, I'd lose my
>> access to this computer (and I'm in a far village spending holidays).
>>
>> Okay, after looking at it some more, I found a clue: my Olympus digital
>> camera is actually recognized by this BIOS as a removable (floppy)
>> drive, not as an HDD!  This certainly confuses Syslinux.  My pendrive is
>> correctly recognized as an HDD, and I found no BIOS option to change the
>> type of the USB storage device.  I wonder what the decision of the BIOS
>> is based on...
>
> The BIOS probably makes that determination based on the size of the
> device.

My pendrive is 2 GB and my xD card is 128 MB, so it's possible, but 128
MB is still gross for a floppy...

> If you have a chance to try the patch that would be great, because
> it's always better if Syslinux can do the right thing automatically as
> opposed to requiring user intervention.

Especially that there's no actual chance of user intervention here, so
doing the right thing is the only option. :)
The patch definitely helped, but some error messages remained:

SYSLINUX 4.02 pre-1-g0ee5047 CHS Copyright (C) 1994-2010...
EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 0
EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 65
EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 91057
EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 91953
Could not find kernel image: menu.c32
boot:

I really forgot to copy menu.c32 onto my camera, so that error is fine.
Typing gpxe.lkrn provoked some more similar EDD error messages, but the
image was loaded and started successfully.
--
Thanks,
Feri.