[syslinux] EDD errors from extlinux on USB

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Jul 14 06:54:21 PDT 2010

On 07/14/2010 12:24 AM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:
>
>> On 07/13/2010 01:40 PM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> What else could I add beyond the dmidecode output?
>>
>> dmidecode is fine.
>
> Does it mean you got the attachment, or that it would be fine?

I looked again, and there is no attachment on any of the emails I got
from you.

> My pendrive is 2 GB and my xD card is 128 MB, so it's possible, but 128
> MB is still gross for a floppy...

LS-120 is 120 MB; LS-240 is 240 MB, and they are conventional floppies.
 The hard CHS limit for floppies (which have a 256-cylinder limits for
MS-DOS compatibility, as opposed to 1024 for hard disks) is around 2 GB.

>> If you have a chance to try the patch that would be great, because
>> it's always better if Syslinux can do the right thing automatically as
>> opposed to requiring user intervention.
>
> Especially that there's no actual chance of user intervention here, so
> doing the right thing is the only option. :)
> The patch definitely helped, but some error messages remained:
>
> SYSLINUX 4.02 pre-1-g0ee5047 CHS Copyright (C) 1994-2010...
> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 0
> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 65
> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 91057
> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 91953
> Could not find kernel image: menu.c32
> boot:
>
> I really forgot to copy menu.c32 onto my camera, so that error is fine.
> Typing gpxe.lkrn provoked some more similar EDD error messages, but the
> image was loaded and started successfully.

Hmm... I wouldn't have expected those error messages.  I'll have to
think about why.