[syslinux] debian/ubuntu live CDs

Helmut Hullen Hullen at t-online.de
Wed Jul 14 07:35:00 PDT 2010

Hallo,

if I try to PXE-boot a debian/ubuntu/clonezilla/debianlike live CD (with
a directory "live", just for recognising this type) via

LABEL clonezilla
  MENU LABEL ^Clonezilla (iso)
  kernel memdisk
  append iso
  initrd iso/clonezilla.iso

that doesn't work:

  This Debian Live image failed to boot.
  ... The error message was
    Unable to find a medium containing a live file system

But if I mount this *.iso image:

  cd /tftpboot
  mkdir -p clonezilla
  mount -o loop iso/clonezilla.iso clonezilla

then I can use this (virtual) CD p.e. via

LABEL Clonezilla
    MENU LABEL ^Clonezilla
    kernel /clonezilla/live/vmlinuz
    append initrd=/clonezilla/live/initrd.img boot=live union=aufs noswap noprompt vga=788 fetch=ftp://192.168.0.1/filesystem.squashfs

(ok - I have to symlink "filesystem.squashfs" too).

Is there still some way to loopmount such an *.iso under PXElinux, or is
that still my job as "root"?

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut