[syslinux] PXELINUX fall to exit PXE ROM

xbgmsharp xbgmsharp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:45:14 PDT 2010

Hello,

Starting version PXELINUX 3.83 2009-10-05, i am not able to boot
anymore using "localboot 0" entry.
It show
""
Booting from local disk...
"""
Then loop on the network boot of the interface then after a few try
show the message:
"""
It appears your computer has less than 268K of low ("DOS")
Boot failed: press a key to retry, or wait for reset...
"""

It does exit the PXE ROM anymore.

Using PXELINUX 3.82 2009-06-09 everything works fine.
It was exiting the network boot and following the boot order configure
in the bios (ie: all network, then localdisk)

I thought it was a bug and wait.
Lately, I test all versions from 3.83 to 3.86 and the latest 4.0 and 4.01
All with the same issue.

According to the changelog of version 3.83, i think, i am affected by this:
PXELINUX: fix localboot after NBP chainloading on certain BIOSes
(including ASUS A8N-E, but possibly others.)

I must admit than i don't what "NBP chainloading" mean.

If i use the following entry, the system boot to the directly local disk.
	KERNEL chain.c32
	APPEND hd0 0

If there any option to make the boot menu exit the PXE ROM and follow
the boot order set in the bios?

Does anyone have the same problem?

The configuration file is quiet minimalistic:
""
PROMPT 1
DISPLAY pxelinux.cfg/f1.txt
TIMEOUT 300