[syslinux] EDD errors from extlinux on USB

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed Jul 14 12:27:08 PDT 2010

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:

> On 07/14/2010 12:24 AM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:

>>> dmidecode is fine.
>>
>> Does it mean you got the attachment, or that it would be fine?
>
> I looked again, and there is no attachment on any of the emails I got
> from you.

Hmm.  My original report with
which I got back from the list contains an attachment.  But here is the
requested part inline:

BIOS Information
	Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
	Version: 0402
	Release Date: 12/04/2007
	Address: 0xF0000
	Runtime Size: 64 kB
	ROM Size: 512 kB
	Characteristics:
		ISA is supported
		PCI is supported
		PNP is supported
		APM is supported
		BIOS is upgradeable
		BIOS shadowing is allowed
		ESCD support is available
		Boot from CD is supported
		Selectable boot is supported
		BIOS ROM is socketed
		EDD is supported
		5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
		3.5"/720 KB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
		3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
		Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
		8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
		Serial services are supported (int 14h)
		Printer services are supported (int 17h)
		CGA/mono video services are supported (int 10h)
		ACPI is supported
		USB legacy is supported
		LS-120 boot is supported
		ATAPI Zip drive boot is supported
		BIOS boot specification is supported
		Targeted content distribution is supported
	BIOS Revision: 8.10

Handle 0x0001, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
	Manufacturer: System manufacturer
	Product Name: System Product Name
	Version: Rev 1.xx
	Serial Number: SYS-1234567890
	UUID: E0F60C9A-8DFE-D511-9836-001FC6437826
	Wake-up Type: Power Switch
	SKU Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
	Family: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes
Base Board Information
	Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
	Product Name: P5GC-MX
	Version: Rev x.xx
	Serial Number: MB-1234567890
	Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
	Features:
		Board is a hosting board
		Board is replaceable
	Location In Chassis: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
	Chassis Handle: 0x0003
	Type: Motherboard
	Contained Object Handles: 0

Handle 0x0003, DMI type 3, 21 bytes
Chassis Information
	Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.
	Type: Desktop
	Lock: Present
	Version: Rev 1.xx
	Serial Number: Ch-12345678
	Asset Tag: Asset-1234567890
	Boot-up State: Safe
	Power Supply State: Safe
	Thermal State: Safe
	Security Status: None
	OEM Information: 0x00000001
	Height: Unspecified
	Number Of Power Cords: 1
	Contained Elements: 0

Handle 0x0004, DMI type 4, 35 bytes
Processor Information
	Socket Designation: LGA 775
	Type: Central Processor
	Family: Other
	Manufacturer: Intel
	ID: FD 06 00 00 FF FB EB BF
	Version: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
	Voltage: 1.3 V
	External Clock: 200 MHz
	Max Speed: 3800 MHz
	Current Speed: 2000 MHz
	Upgrade: Socket LGA775
	L1 Cache Handle: 0x0005
	L2 Cache Handle: 0x0006
	L3 Cache Handle: 0x0007
	Serial Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
	Asset Tag: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
	Part Number: To Be Filled By O.E.M.

>> My pendrive is 2 GB and my xD card is 128 MB, so it's possible, but 128
>> MB is still gross for a floppy...
>
> LS-120 is 120 MB; LS-240 is 240 MB, and they are conventional floppies.
> The hard CHS limit for floppies (which have a 256-cylinder limits for
> MS-DOS compatibility, as opposed to 1024 for hard disks) is around 2 GB.

OK, I've never seen any of those LS thingies.

>>> If you have a chance to try the patch that would be great, because
>>> it's always better if Syslinux can do the right thing automatically as
>>> opposed to requiring user intervention.
>>
>> Especially that there's no actual chance of user intervention here, so
>> doing the right thing is the only option. :)
>> The patch definitely helped, but some error messages remained:
>>
>> SYSLINUX 4.02 pre-1-g0ee5047 CHS Copyright (C) 1994-2010...
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 0
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 65
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 91057
>> EDD: Error 0100 reading sector 91953
>> Could not find kernel image: menu.c32
>> boot:
>>
>> I really forgot to copy menu.c32 onto my camera, so that error is fine.
>> Typing gpxe.lkrn provoked some more similar EDD error messages, but the
>> image was loaded and started successfully.
>
> Hmm... I wouldn't have expected those error messages.  I'll have to
> think about why.

I'll have access to this computer until Friday or Saturday, probably.
Feri.