[syslinux] Including keyboard mappings (Was: Very last call for Syslinux 4.02)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jul 20 05:41:46 PDT 2010

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> I would like to release Syslinux 4.02 TODAY.  If there is anything I'm
> missing, or which is wrong in Syslinux 4.02-pre3, please scream loudly
> NOW...

Hi Peter,

I produced 4.02-pre3 builds without a problem for RHEL3, RHEL4 and RHEL5.

Today we came across another small change that would serve us well. We are
implementing a disaster-recovery solution and are in need for
keyboard-mappings for syslinux. We only need a few, but for us it would be
helpful if the keyboard-mappings are readily available (and of good
quality).

Currently we are using the keyboard mappings as they come with the
RIPLinux ISO. However it would make more sense IMO to ship them with
syslinux, especially since we now have working keyb.c32 that allows to
change keyboard settings on the fly.

Would it be possible to include those files (coming from RIPLinux) into
the syslinux distribution ?

PS On a side-note we do have problems with the numeric keypad using the BE
mappings, which I don't think we can easily fix using the current
implementation. It seems that the numeric keypad is mapped directly to the
US numerical keys and therefore produce the wrong characters if not
similar to US. Not something I expect to be a priority ;-)