[syslinux] Including keyboard mappings (Was: Very last call for Syslinux 4.02)

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Jul 20 09:52:00 PDT 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> On 07/20/2010 05:41 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to release Syslinux 4.02 TODAY.  If there is anything I'm
>>> missing, or which is wrong in Syslinux 4.02-pre3, please scream loudly
>>> NOW...
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I produced 4.02-pre3 builds without a problem for RHEL3, RHEL4 and RHEL5.
>>
>> Today we came across another small change that would serve us well. We
>> are implementing a disaster-recovery solution and are in need for
>> keyboard-mappings for syslinux. We only need a few, but for us it would
>> be helpful if the keyboard-mappings are readily available (and of good
>> quality).
>>
>> Currently we are using the keyboard mappings as they come with the
>> RIPLinux ISO. However it would make more sense IMO to ship them with
>> syslinux, especially since we now have working kbdmap.c32 that allows
>> to change keyboard settings on the fly.
>>
>> Would it be possible to include those files (coming from RIPLinux) into
>> the syslinux distribution ?
>
> I'd rather not.  I have a program included (keytab-lilo) which allows
> one to convert from the keymaps included with kbd to LILO/Syslinux
> format, and the keymaps in kbd are always going to be better maintained
> than me maintaining a set separately.

But it will require people to specifically convert and provide them in
advance, rather than have a syslinux that is enabled for all keyboards by
default (eg from /boot/extlinux/maps/). Which for non-US

For some reason I have a deja-vu, did we have this discussion before ? :)

BTW Did the below issue ever got fixed:

     http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-March/006720.html

Because it prevented us in the past from converting on-the-fly.