[syslinux] gpxelinux local disk boot does not work

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Tue Jul 20 10:12:56 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 4:30 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 07/19/2010 03:27 PM, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
>>
>> The VMWare machine worked flawless with a disk however the HP Laptops did not.
>> The HP Laptops one is a nw8440 the others are hp 6715b and I have a
>> few others I need to test
>> The laptops get to
>> Booting local disk...
>> They don't get to
>> PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
>> Like the vmware machines do
>>
>> Using pxelinux from 4.01 on the HPs I get
>> PXE-M0F: Exiting HP PXE ROM.
>>

> OK, so this is HP brokenness, quite possibly inside gPXE, and/or in the
> interaction between gPXE and Syslinux.
>
> a) This really belongs on the gPXE and Syslinux mailing lists.

Where is the gpxe mailing list?
> b) Does "keeppxe" work?

I don't understand how to use this option.

Where do I put it in the following?

LABEL local
MENU LABEL local boot
LOCALBOOT 0

> c) Do older versions of gpxelinux.0 work?
>
>        -hpa

What version of syslinux can I download that have an older version
syslinux-3.86 still has gpxe v 1.0.0 same as syslinux-4.01 with
copying all of syslinux-3.86's versions of gpxelinux.0 and pxelinux.0
it works the same.(different appearance) pxelinux.0 works with
localboot and gpxelinux.0 does not.