[syslinux] Including keyboard mappings (Was: Very last call for Syslinux 4.02)

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jul 20 13:09:48 PDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 01:07 PM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
>> On 07/20/2010 09:52 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
>>>
>>> But it will require people to specifically convert and provide them in
>>> advance, rather than have a syslinux that is enabled for all keyboards by
>>> default (eg from /boot/extlinux/maps/). Which for non-US
>>
>> I think the best would be for distros to make that with a syslinux-kbd
>> package which depends on syslinux and kbd...
>
> Perfect, although it might be possible that distributions may do this
> differently. We may want to create a page with recommendations for
> packagers like other projects do ?

That would be good, I guess.

>>> For some reason I have a deja-vu, did we have this discussion before ? :)
>>>
>>> BTW Did the below issue ever got fixed:
>>>
>>>      http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-March/006720.html
>>>
>>> Because it prevented us in the past from converting on-the-fly.
>>
>> The script was updated in 2009, so I *hope* that was fixed.
>
> Ok, I read your write-up too, I will test this later this week. Holiday
> coming up ;-)
>
> On a Belgian keyboard some characters (namely \, |, @, #, ~, {, }, [, ],
> `) are formed using AltGr and are impossible to make in syslinux right
> now. And as reported, numeric keypad is a no-go as well.

There isn't much that can be done about that without completely
revamping the way the keyboard is handled down to the point of actually
replacing the keyboard driver in the BIOS.  Although this is something
that could be done I'm worried about doing that causing more problems
than it solves...