[syslinux] gpxelinux local disk boot does not work

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 15:26:02 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 3:54 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> wrote:
> --On Thursday, July 22, 2010 03:05:34 PM -0600 Jeff Sadowski
> <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I downloaded syslinux-4.02 today and did the uncomment of debug in the
>> pxechain.asm file and did make in the modules folder then replaced the
>> files in my directories with the most current.
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> --On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:56:21 AM -0600 Jeff Sadowski

>>> It stops without printing anything at all?
>>
>> Going back to the original with APPEND 10.255.11.252::/gpxe/gpxelinux.0
>> before adding debug it only printed
>> [quote]
>> TFTP boot: 10.255.11.252 /gpxe/gpxelinux.0
>> [/quote]
>> and then stalls the computer to the point I need to press the power
>> button. with the debug uncommented and running make then replacing
>> pxechain.com I get as follows
>> [quote]
>> INIT SCAN PIP GOTP 128 LEFT /gpxe/gpxelinux.0GCI
>> TFTP boot: 10.255.11.252 /gpxe/gpxelinux.0
>> [/quote]
>
> This really sounds like your PXE stack is broken.
> pxechain uses a hack to pass the new boot path to the next NBP which may not
> work with all PXE stacks, but it shouldn't just hang and fail to load the
> next PXE stack at all.  Give me a couple of days and I will try to get you a
> version I've been working on with an alternate loader method that may work
> better for you.

Would it matter what tftpserver I am using?
I am using slax and running tftp-hpa-0.48-i486-1
It seems to work the same on hp's my eeepc and my virtual machines on
vmware esx version 4.1
I could build a different vm to run my server on if I need to.
I use my server to upload slax with different modules making it easy
to switch up on what I want done over my
pxe booted devices. I mainly use it with partimage modules to load and
save harddrive images. I automated this to make it easy to image a
bunch of laptops.
I also used it to load openview clients across the machines.
Till I learned that I needed the windows view client to use pcoip in
which case I found out how to boot bartpe and am trying to get view
working on that. I'll try moa since I know that will work. Thus I'm in
my current state of trying to get gpxelinux to play well with others
and I was going to try pxechain as a way to circumvent the problem
with gpxelinux not being able to boot local.
Thank You for your help so far.

As a continuation of my report of gpxelinux not being able to
localboot it also fails on my EEEPC 1000HEB