[syslinux] PATCH: Let "dhcp" command iterate over interfaces like autoboot()

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at oddbit.com
Thu Jul 22 18:30:49 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I was reading http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/appnotes/autobootchainurl,
and figured that as long as I was going to be modifying the code I
might as well try a cleaner solution.  Attached to this message is a
patch that makes the following changes:

1) Allow the "dhcp" command to accept a list of interfaces and to try
them in order until it succeeds, e.g.:

 gPXE> dhcp net0 net1 net2

 In order to preserve the original syntax of the command, this will
fail on an unknown interface name:

  gPXE> dhcp foo net0
  No such interface: foo
  gPXE>

  The "-c" flag allows it to continue:

  gPXE> dhcp -c foo net0
  No such interface: foo
  DHCP (net0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx).... ok
  gPXE>

2) If given the single parameter "any" as an interface name, iterate
over all known interfaces in a manner similar to autoboot():

  gPXE> dhcp any
  DHCP (net0 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx)........ Connection timed out (...)
  Could not configure net0: Connection timed out (...)
  DHCP (net1 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx).... ok
  gPXE>

I think this manages to preserve the syntax of the existing "dhcp"
command while making the magic of autoboot available to gpxe scripts.
Please let me know if you have any comments.  This code has only had
limited testing, and I'm not terribly familiar with the gPXE code
base.  Please excuse any stylistic problems; I'd be happy to fix
anything that needs fixing.

Cheers,

-- Lars