[syslinux] Equivalent of pxechain.com for (USB key based) syslinux

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Fri Jul 23 07:31:35 PDT 2010

Alain Knaff <syslinux at misc.lka.org.lu> writes:

> However, how can I achieve the same thing with syslinux (for USB keys)?
> There is MENU INCLUDE, but it doesn't change the current directory, so
> the submenu file must be edited to prepend the subdirectory to every
> kernel, initrd, display, function key, further submenues, ...

LABEL udpcast
        menu label Udpcast
        config /udpcast/syslinux.cfg
        append /udpcast

But you will have a version mismatch between any modules (*.c32)
provided by udpcast and the main syslinux version.  This may or may not
cause problems, but definitely is unsupported.

It also breaks down if udpcast uses absolute paths or isn't prepared to
find its post-boot data files in a subdirectory.  But these would be a
problem with the pxechain approach as well.
Feri.