[syslinux] [RFC/PATCH] New chainloading functionality

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Jul 26 16:02:05 PDT 2010

On 07/26/2010 03:50 PM, Michal Soltys wrote:

> To retain compatibility with older configs simple invocation such as seg=0x60
> is perfectly valid. Only potential incompatibilities here, is if someone used
> decimal values (e.g. seg=96) or if someone used seg= to actually control boot
> sector address/jump (extremely unlikely).

Hm... I don't like this; overall I don't like numbers that default to
hex with no override.

I'm willing to accept that if it has a colon in it it is parsed as hex,
just because seg:offs values get really awkward otherwise, but not in
general.

>  *      update the "drive unit" field in a FAT/NTFS boot sector. Offset should
>  *      be either 0x24 (FAT/NTFS excluding FAT32) or 0x40 (FAT32 only) -
>  *      chainloader won't accept other values. Offset is parsed as a *HEX*
>  *      number. Offsetless value defaults to 0x24.

Same thing here.

The other thing that I wonder is if this work conflicts with sha0's
librarization work that is currently on the "disklib" branch in the git
repository.