[syslinux] chain.c32: Chainboot failed!

Gert Hulselmans gerth at zytor.com
Tue Jul 27 13:36:24 PDT 2010

Miller, Shao wrote:
> Good day Gert,
>
> What was the partition layout you used in this test, or did you test
> several?
>
> - Shao Miller

I don't think that the partition layout matters in this case.

The following works without problems:

boot: chain.c32 fs

I tested it a week ago also, and now I remember that the following also
didn't work:

boot: chain.c32 hd0,1 freedos=/kernel.sys
Booting...
Chainboot failed!
boot:

The following works:
boot: chain.c32 hd0 freedos=/kernel.sys
boot: chain.c32 hd0,0 freedos=/kernel.sys
boot: chain.c32 boot freedos=/kernel.sys

If the hard disk image is BIOS drive 0x81, the following works:
boot: chain.c32 swap freedos=/kernel.sys

FreeDOS only uses the drive (and can only boot from drive 0x80, unless you
use 'swap' (= boots still from nex 0x80)) and not the partition info.

- Gert Hulselmans