[syslinux] Linux software RAID 1.2 superblocks

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 11 11:14:10 PDT 2010

On 06/11/2010 10:21 AM, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just to bring one more Debian concern to the Syslinux table: the default
> metadata format in upstream mdadm changed to 1.2, which means MD
> superblocks at the beginning of the partition, after a 4 KB hole.
>
> Is our favorite bootloader prepared to handle such situations?

Ah, good, they did un-break the universe -- for a while there the
default was 1.1, which can't support partition-centric bootloading at all.

Syslinux itself can handle it, but it will need a special boot sector
(or special MBR, in case the entire disk in an mdraid -- I think the
same code might work for both but I haven't tested it all yet) installed
onto the mdraid.  I haven't written that code, but it shouldn't take
very long.