[syslinux] Advanced Format Technology

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 15 16:35:05 PDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 03:58 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> While researching another issue unrelated to Syslinux, I found some
> mildly disturbing news that affects Syslinux.  As HPA stated back on
> 2009-06-04, hard drive manufacturers are pushing towards a 4096B
> (4kiB; 4k) native sector size.  They're calling it "Advanced Format
> Technology".  It appears that WD (Western Digital; WDC) is the first
> with some products being released back in December and that Seagate
> just recently "jumped on the bandwagon".
>
> Seeing as HPA's mention of the 4kiB sector back on 2009-06-04 was the
> only mention I've seen and "Advanced Format" can't be seen anywhere in
> the list archives, I felt it worthwhile to mention "it's here", at
> least to some extent.
>
> In WD's whitepaper (PDF available by selecting language at
> http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=216&type=87), it does,
> however, talk about performing in-drive emulation from 512B to 4096B
> sectors and that they have a utility
> (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/) to "realign" for
> "performance" (still can't be certain what this really means;
> sacrifice 1/64 capacity by packing (63) 512B sectors on (8) 4096B
> sectors?).
>
> Has this been discussed at all off-list (ie IRC)?  With the in-drive
> emulation, it seems like it either won't affect anything or it won't
> affect it for now.

Logical sector size (as opposed to physcial sector size) is likely to
remain at 512 for at least some time.  "Advanced Format" is, ahem, at
the very best a euphemism.

Realigning for performance just means changing the partitions to all be
on 4K boundaries, which is a good thing; for FAT it might also pad some
of the internal data structures to make sure the clusters are also aligned.