[syslinux] Remotely Wipe Hard Drive

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:01:19 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 15:12, Matthew Holevinski <eylusion at gmail.com> wrote:

> that's very similiar to what I want to do, although, remember it might be kind
> of difficult to apply a ghost image to the same windows partition the computer
> is currently using. But you got the right idea, if there is something
> I could setup
> remotely to where, on next reboot the client could choose an option to
> wipe his drive.
>
> Matt

Let me see if I have this right:
 * You have access to the remote workstation's filesystem over SMB/CIFS/etc.
 * These are old workstations that are being prepared for decommissioning.
 * The user, when instructed, shall choose the boot-time option to
decommission the machine.
 * When decommissioned, they shouldn't have any OS on the hard drive
and will be the responsibility of an independent third party if they
want an OS on the machine.

http://grub4dos.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Grub4dos_tutorial#Booting_GRUB_for_DOS_via_the_Windows_NT.2F2000.2FXP.2F2003_boot_manager

I've never used it but if you can figure out how to make a menu.lst to
load the needed files for DBAN, you're in business.  It sounds like
you'll need grldr, the contents of the DBAN ISO, the menu.lst (you
create) and to edit boot.ini.

--
-Gene

"No one ever says, 'I can't read that ASCII(plain text) e-mail you sent me.'"