[syslinux] Syslinux 4.xx Minimum Requirements

Miller, Shao shao.miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Thu Jun 17 13:21:19 PDT 2010

Ok, while trying to move over to the pathbased branch, I've run into
some trouble.

I use an old Knoppix 3.x (.3 or .4; I forget) since it provides somewhat
of a good "outdated development box."  It has:
---
gcc (GCC) 3.3.3 (Debian 20040429)

NASM version 0.98.38 compiled on Apr  6 2004

GNU objdump (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.19.51.20090723
( ^- for example)
---
I don't stand a chance of building pathbased with this, it seems.
Unfortunately it's _so_ old, that the package manager can't even update
due to crazy dependency borkage.

I did see notes about minimum NASM versions in NEWS and core/head.inc
and syslinux.spec.in.

I don't mind submitting patches in regards to the build system's minimum
requirements but, what are they?

- Shao Miller