[syslinux] Syslinux 4.xx Minimum Requirements

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:34:44 PDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 17:36, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 06/17/2010 01:21 PM, Miller, Shao wrote:
>>
>> I did see notes about minimum NASM versions in NEWS and core/head.inc
>> and syslinux.spec.in.
>>
>> I don't mind submitting patches in regards to the build system's minimum
>> requirements but, what are they?
>>

> NASM needs to be 2.03 or later, to the best of my knowledge, although I
> recommend 2.07 or later.
>
> As far as binutils, I'm not really sure.

Shao,

You're not the only one out there.  I was running a similar version of
NASM and when it came time to use it, it spit back an error that
seemed rather deceiving and cryptic (unfortunately, can't remember
what) and I just finished an upgrade on my main system (minus the
requisite fine-tuning of the environment to my liking :-D ).  I
eventually came to the same conclusion: there's an enhancement in NASM
being utilized that made it necessary to move to at least 2.03.  I
think there's a statement in some source file that throws the error
nicely (stating use 2.03+) but I didn't hit that file first.

--
-Gene

"No one ever says, 'I can't read that ASCII(plain text) e-mail you sent me.'"