[syslinux] ROSH: Status

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 11:30:10 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 13:42, Liu Aleaxander <aleaxander at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:00 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a status update on my progress with ROSH: I now have it able to
>> compile as a COM32 and Linux ELF on the pathbased branch.  The main
>> reason I am using the Linux ELF is to test and compile a little easier
>> and faster.  At this point, it's approaching a stable, usable state.
>>
>> However, it depends on some changes to libutil, the main COM32
>> library, and the Syslinux core.  I think I have the libutil changes
>> done (Linux terminal behavior).  The COM32 library still needs changes
>> to return the full file type/mode.  Corresponding changes need to be
>> made in the Syslinux core.
>>
> Hi Gene,
>
> Where can I check your code? Do you have a syslinux git tree
> somewhere? I'm asking
> since I plan to port gnu readline lib to syslinux. Well, that's just a
> plan in my mind, I don't even
> have time so far to do some investigation to check whether it work or
> not. So, what's your
> new features, or goal on ROSH?

Public GIT tree, yes.  I haven't pushed my updates to it yet but once
I get rosh.c32 working again, that will be coming.  I still have to
rebuild what I had on v3.x for SYSLINUX into the pathbased branch.

Features and Goals: Well, a lot of improved functionality is present
(mainly ls that looks like ls, a more command, and a fake cd command
that eases examining directories and files not along side the main
working directory).  more probably still needs some fine tuning and ls
doesn't bother with sorting or doing multiple columns (yet, that is; I
have plans for that; far simpler and smaller code and memory footprint
without it).  It does have a run command but I'm still thinking about
processing relative to a changed directory and if it's even feasible.
Pushing a change directory to Syslinux would make it easier but
require more in the core yet.

--
-Gene