[syslinux] help

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Sat Jun 19 20:04:37 PDT 2010

Prof S W Damle wrote:
> Noticed that with cd and hd options one can create "super CD" and "super
> HD" images.
>
> Tried for "super CD" image but NOT successful therefore contacting you
> to get guidelines/instructions for "super CD" & "super HD" images.

How did you notice this?  'mkisofs' can create .ISOs of any size that
the ISO9660 filesystem will allow for, as far as I know.  For a
custom-sized HDD image, you can simply choose a size in your head,
calculate how many 512-byte sectors that would be, then DD from the zero
device to the image file with 'count=XXX'.  You can then work with the
image file in QEmu (or other VMs) or you can attach the image file as a
block device with:
- losetup /dev/loopX /path/to/image_file.hdd (under Linux)
- winvblk attach c:\path\to\image_file.hdd h 0 0 0 (under Windows)

Note that the WinVBlock syntax will be changing in a future version to:
- winvblk -c attach -u c:\path\to\image_file.hdd -m h

- Shao Miller