[syslinux] extlinux boot failer

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Jun 25 08:52:51 PDT 2010

On 06/25/2010 05:20 AM, 孤云独闲 wrote:
> Hi all :
>    my /dev/sda2 is ext3 format filesystem, the os moblin is installed in
> /dev/sda2 which is root partition, the bootloader is grub, now i want to
> change the bootloader to extlinux, but i came across some trouble,  so i did
> some steps as following:
>    1. rpm -ivh syslinux-extlinux*.rpm
>    2. extlinux -i /boot/extlinux
>    3. i edit extlinux.conf , and put it in /boot/extlinux/, there is
> extlinux.conf is my attached file.
>    4. cd /boot/extlinux
>        ln -sf ../vmlinuz-2.6.32.4.lp.enhance.24-netbook-atkbd
> vmlinuz-2.6.32.4.lp.enhance.24-netbook-atkbd
>   5. extlinux -U /boot/extlinux/
>    6. cat  /usr/share/syslinux/mbr.bin > /dev/sda
>    7. reboot
>
> the screen always show "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!",
> and then i type "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.4.lp.enhance.24-netbook-atkbd" or
> "/vmlinuz-2.6.32.4.lp.enhance.24-netbook-atkbd",
> "vmlinuz-2.6.32.4.lp.enhance.24-netbook-atkbd", but the screen always show
> "Could not find kernel image:vmlinuz-2.6.32.4.lp.enhance.24-netbook-atkbd".
>
> could you help me? tell me  how i will do and debug  extlinux in my case.
> I am  sorry my English is very poor. please help me!

I don't see anything obviously wrong in your description above (I
presume you have /dev/sda1 as /boot and /dev/sda2 as / based on your
partition layout) which implies that there is something in your
filesystem which causes the failure.

Again, assuming you have a separate /boot, you should not put /boot in
front of the filenames in extlinux.conf, but that again doesn't explain
the error messages.  You are also not including which version of
Syslinux you are using.

(Not sure why you are doing the linking in step 4.)

We are just about to release Syslinux 4.00, which is a major change in
codebase.  You may want to test it out.  It is available in tarball form at:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Testing/