[syslinux] Syslinux 4.00 welcomes lua

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Jun 26 12:26:51 PDT 2010

On 06/26/2010 05:46 AM, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 20100624 om 14:11 schreef H. Peter Anvin:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have just released Syslinux 4.00-pre59.  This is intended as last call
>> for 4.00: from this point on I will only fix showstopper bugs.  Anything
>> that didn't make this release will have to wait for 4.01 or 4.10.
>
> For the Syslinux 4.xx series I would like to see
> that the lua port to syslinux gets more visible.
>
> The main idea is to say "Welcome lua"
>
> Attached a patch for what I have in mind.

I just tried to merge the master branch into the lua branch, but the
result doesn't build.  I'm up for including the lua interpreter in the
default build as long as it doesn't fix anything else, and that way we
can say it is included but experimental.

Would you be interested in looking to see why it doesn't build?

This is what I did:

git checkout lua
git merge master
<resolve trivial conflict in com32/Makefile>
git add com32/Makefile
git commit

The DMI code has apparently changed, because it errors out in:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `../../modules/dmi.o', needed by
`liblua.a'.  Stop.
dmi.c:10:21: error: dmi/dmi.h: No such file or directory
dmi.c: In function ‘dmi_gettable’:
dmi.c:14: error: ‘s_dmi’ undeclared (first use in this function)
dmi.c:14: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
dmi.c:14: error: for each function it appears in.)
dmi.c:14: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘dmi’
dmi.c:18: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘dmi_interate’
dmi.c:23: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘parse_dmitable’
dmi.c:23: error: ‘dmi’ undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [dmi.o] Error 1

Since the Lua branch is currently on Syslinux 3.73, I guess it's not a
huge surprise.