[syslinux] problems booting

Gert Hulselmans gerth at zytor.com
Mon Jun 28 13:40:12 PDT 2010

GRML4D/GRML4D2 wrote:
> hello H. Peter Anvin or one of best friend's ;'] ,
> i like your software very much , i use it for some times now when i
> remaster
> some live cdrom .
> these days i am making a new one for servers l4d and l4d2 . i try to make
> one that have a squashfs file that is bigger than 4 Go .
> because of that i can not use fat32 with usb so i wonder if soon you will
> mkake a new release being able to use NTFS or the new EFAT ?

There is no public specification of the EXFAT filesytem, There are some
attempts to write a linux driver:
http://groups.google.com/group/fa.linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/903eb182127e8f21/e2e23eeb3a016268
http://code.google.com/p/exfat/

Also Tuxera wrote aa EXFAT driver for linux, based on Microsoft
documentation, but source code is not available atm (if ever):
http://www.tuxera.com/about-us/news/1839/

Why don't you use ext2/3/4 instead of FAT32? Because you want to boot
linux, it can't be a problem to create/use ext2/3/4 partitions.

> i also used ultraiso to convert my iso to udf so i can write it on a
> bluray
> disc , it started to boot and told me that the files were not found , did
> made a mistake ?

Never use a ISO editor to edit bootable iso's.
Always remaster this iso with mkisofs and the -boot-info-table switch if
the iso uses ISOLINUX. The -boot-info-table switch patches some bytes in
the bootsector of the CD, which are originally the first 2048 bytes of
isolinux.bin. This patched bytes tell the boot sector where the rest of
isolinux.bin is located. If your ISO editor moves the isolinux.bin file,
the location in the boot sector still points to the same location as
before, but this location doesn't contain the isolinux.bin file anymore.

http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/ISOLINUX#How_Can_I_Make_a_Bootable_CD_With_ISOLINUX.3F

- Gert Hulselmans