[syslinux] SYSLINUX 4.00 2010-06-28 EDD Load error - Boot error

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Jun 29 10:52:30 PDT 2010

On 06/29/2010 10:15 AM, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, H. Peter,
>
> Du meintest am 29.06.10:
>
>>> http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/syslinux/syslinux-4.01-pre90.tar.gz
>>>
>>> ... and make sure to report any messages *exactly* -- each character
>>> matters.
>
>> I guess I should also ask this (for both of you)... do the affected
>> machines have serial ports, and do you have the facilities to log
>> data off a serial port?
>
> All my machines have a real serial port. But I'd need a HOWTO for
> logging the data. Serial cables (and gender changers): no problem.

Okay, then.

I have put a serial port debugging build at:

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/syslinux/syslinux-4.01-pre91.tar.gz

Use a null modem cable to connect the test system to the logging host.
You can use any common terminal program to log the output on the other
end; set the terminal program for 115200-N81.

I tend to use "screen" on a Linux box.  If your serial port on the
logging host is /dev/ttyS0, then run:

screen -L /dev/ttyS0 115200

I believe the logging output will end up in a file called screenlog.0
(unless I misremember).

When you're done, press Ctrl-A q to quit screen.

Note: this build should produce *lots* of output.  If it doesn't,
something is wrong.