[syslinux] EXTLINUX

Collins, Cris cris.collins at gd-ais.com
Tue Jun 29 13:44:22 PDT 2010

It hangs at the blinking cursor right after the BIOS finishes
initializing the system. The partition on the usb drive is marked as
active. I tried with the -z option as well, however I don't think it was
necessary because I had been somewhat successful using Lilo. I had some
problems compiling 4.0 under RHEL 5.4 so I moved to 3.86.

nasm -f elf -Ox -g -F dwarf -DDATE_STR="'0x4c2a4af8'" \
                -DHEXDATE="0x4c2a4af8" \
                -l pxelinux.lsr -o pxelinux.o -MP -MD .pxelinux.o.d pxelinux.asm
ld -m elf_i386  -T syslinux.ld -M -o pxelinux.elf pxelinux.o \
                --start-group libcore.a ../com32/lib/libcomcore.a /usr/lib/gcc/i386-redhat-linux/4.1.2/libgcc.a --end-group \
                > pxelinux.map
objdump -h pxelinux.elf > pxelinux.sec
perl lstadjust.pl pxelinux.lsr pxelinux.sec pxelinux.lst
objcopy -O binary pxelinux.elf pxelinux.raw
./lzo/prepcore pxelinux.raw pxelinux.bin
./lzo/prepcore: pxelinux.raw: output too big (30197, max 0)
make[1]: *** [pxelinux.bin] Error 1
rm ldlinux.raw isolinux-debug.raw pxelinux.raw isolinux.raw ldlinux.o pxelinux.o isolinux.o isolinux-debug.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/syslinux-4.00/core'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I got a smaller ramdisk to boot under isolinux.