[syslinux] SYSLINUX 4.00 2010-06-28 EDD Load error - Boot error

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Wed Jun 30 04:23:16 PDT 2010

"Helmut Hullen" <Hullen at t-online.de> writes:

> Du meintest am 29.06.10:
>
>> I have put a serial port debugging build at:
>>
>> http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/syslinux/syslinux-4.01-pre91.tar.gz
>>
>> Use a null modem cable to connect the test system to the logging
>> host. You can use any common terminal program to log the output on
>> the other end; set the terminal program for 115200-N81.
>>
>> I tend to use "screen" on a Linux box.  If your serial port on the
>> logging host is /dev/ttyS0, then run:
>>
>> screen -L /dev/ttyS0 115200
>>
>> Note: this build should produce *lots* of output.  If it doesn't,
>> something is wrong.
>
> Something is wrong - starting the T22 leads to the 3 lines error
> messages, but "screenlog.0" receives no byte.
>
> I have used the actual "isolinux.bin" - has it implemented the serial
> routines?

The version of core/isolinux.bin in the tarball at
http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/syslinux/syslinux-4.01-pre91.tar.gz
outputs stuff to the first serial port unconditionally.
Be sure to use that in your ISO image.  You may also want to test the
serial connection independently: issue the command

screen /dev/ttyS0 115200

on both machines.  Try typing into both, what you type should appear on
the other machine.  Otherwise try different cables, one more or one less
"crossing" (the null modem cable has exactly one), different connectors
(if you have several) or different ttyS devices.
Feri.