[syslinux] isohybrid: change default offset to 1 to avoidparted troubles

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Mar 1 06:38:18 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: syslinux-bounces at zytor.com [mailto:syslinux-bounces at zytor.com] On
Behalf Of Kim Mik
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2009 14:34
To: For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
Subject: Re: [syslinux] isohybrid: change default offset to 1 to
avoidparted troubles

> On 12/06/2009 03:37 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:

> > Using the default offset 0, parted will complain about a recursive
> > partition and will be unable to do any further work on a USB device
that
> > uses an isohybrid image created with offset 0.
> > Setting offset to 1 will fix this.
>
> I will not make this the default.  Rejected.
>
>     -hpa
>
> --
> H. Peter Anvin, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> I work for Intel.  I don't speak on their behalf.

I know it is already rejected, but here is the full explanation by cmdr
about the problem:
  http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=13581

Just if anyone is interested in this topic.

- Gert Hulselmans

-----Original Message End-----

Attached is cmdr's diff to the isohybrid script, also for those
interested.  I think a problem here is with disk utilities' complaints
of a recursive partition table.  I wonder if there's a way to address
this _other_than_ changing "offset" in the isohybrid script.  Original
isohybrid on the "left" ("<") and modified one on the "right" (">").

- Shao Miller