[syslinux] isohybrid: change default offset to 1 to avoidparted troubles

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 1 10:11:53 PST 2010

On 03/01/2010 06:39 AM, Miller, Shao wrote:

> Attached is cmdr's diff to the isohybrid script, also for those
> interested.  I think a problem here is with disk utilities' complaints
> of a recursive partition table.  I wonder if there's a way to address
> this _other_than_ changing "offset" in the isohybrid script.  Original
> isohybrid on the "left" ("<") and modified one on the "right" (">").

Note that all of these are command-line options already.  His diff just
changes the default.

Either way, I think it might be hard to deal with.  The problem is
exactly that the partition table *is* recursive (meaning that one of the
partitions contain the partition table itself) -- intentionally.
Operating systems don't seem to have an issue with it, but (g)parted does.

The offset option allows one to generate a different table, but then one
has to mount the whole device (e.g. /dev/sdc) not the partition
(/dev/sdc1) -- which also means that one can't use the remainder of the
device as a disk partition.