[syslinux] pxelinux multiple serial port setting

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Mar 1 10:55:04 PST 2010

Kimitoshi Takahashi wrote:

> Hello
>
> We have computers which redirect COM2(ttyS1) to SOL(Searial console
> Over Lan).
> We have been using pxelinux to boot them with the following
> pxelinux.cfg/default setting.

> Now, recently we bought different computers whose BMC(Baseboard
> Management Controller) redirect COM3(ttyS2) to
> SOL.
> We were able to see pxelinux menu with old machines but we can't see
> them with newer ones.
> We want to see pxelinux menu's outputs with both machines.

Is it possible to configure your serial-over-LAN in these new computers'
BIOS?  Perhaps you can ask the vendor to ship them preconfigured for the
same serial port as your old computers as part of your expectations as a
bulk consumer (assuming you are one).

Other than that, PXELINUX searches for its config-file using a
well-known "count-down" method, which includes searching for a file
based on UUID, on MAC address, and on IP address.  Could you
special-case these newer computers and provide a PXELINUX config-file
for them which uses COM3?

- Shao Miller