[syslinux] Dell problems with PXELINUX 3.62

Lindgren Daniel daniel.lindgren at tullverket.se
Mon Mar 1 23:39:48 PST 2010

> As mentioned, the COMBOOT and COMBOOT32 modules should be
> matched with your version of Syslinux (PXELINUX).  MEMDISK is
> a Linux kernel format binary, and is not tied to the Syslinux
> version used, since it doesn't depend on Syslinux.  MEMDISK
> can be booted by other boot-loaders, for instance.

Yes, we're using MEMDISK from 3.84 with pxelinux.0 and menu.c32 from
3.61 and haven't seen any problems. We will probably only use our
GX280's for another year or so, as long as version 3.61 works with any
new models during that period we're happy to mix and match.

> I have access to plenty of Dell Optiplex GX280s...  None of
> whom experience trouble with recent Syslinux versions.  You
> might consider the option of using a newer Syslinux version,
> if testing does not yield a regression for your other models.

The problem appeared in 3.62-pre7, any later than that and my PXE loaded
(Win98) DOS 7.0 floppy image stops working with complaints about DOS
memory, I've sent a meminfo dump to HPA. It's probably a combination of
DOS 7.0 memory management, pxelinux.0 and GX280 that breaks things. If
you do not use PXELINUX 3.62+ to load a DOS 7.0 image on a GX280 you
won't have this problem.

Cheers,
Daniel