[syslinux] "Dos installer" from Win98se

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Mar 2 19:18:04 PST 2010

On 03/02/2010 03:53 PM, Shao Miller wrote:
> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>>
>> It doesn't -- the mkdir is necessary.
>>

> Geert asked on February 9th, 2010 what was in the root directory of the
> O: drive.  You mentioned on the 28th that there wasn't likely wasn't a
> SYSLINUX\ directory, due to the format. :)
>
> Does the "partition not found" message also suggest that this O: drive
> is a partitionless disk?  If so, it would seem that the -m and -a
> options should not be used, and the -d option should only be used if the
> directory exists.

Well, syslinux.com *thinks* there is a partition there:

read_mbr(15,000031a4) rv(0861) = 0000
Searching for partition offset: 00000020
                                ^^^^^^^^

Either way, it would be good to know what the partition table looks like.

S.W.: do you have the ability to create a binary image of the first 128K
or so of your removable device immediately after format?