[syslinux] "Dos installer??? from Win98se

Prof S W Damle swdamle at bsnl.in
Wed Mar 3 14:01:04 PST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: syslinux-bounces at zytor.com [mailto:syslinux-bounces at zytor.com] On
Behalf Of Geert Stappers
Sent: Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:21 PM
To: syslinux at zytor.com
Subject: Re: [syslinux] "Dos installer??? from Win98se

Op 20100228 om 02:57 schreef Shao Miller:
> swdamle at bsnl.in wrote:
>>

> Hello.  You sent your message twice, I believe.

Yep, I got those two also. ( and two more about two weeks ago )

>> This has reference to ???"Dos installer" from Win98se in
Syslinux-3.84.

>> Sorry to say the problem CONTINUES with Syslinux-3.85. Following is
>> for your reference please.
>>
>> Microsoft(R) Windows 98
>>
>>    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
>>

>> C:\WINDOWS>format o: /s
>>

> I am curious: How many HDDs in the computer?  What is the partition
> layout (including primary and other) for each disk?  O: is a long ways

> from C:, so this is interesting.

All that many (defined) disks _could be_ the reason
why the actual 'syslinux' command doesn't work.

Back to:
  syslinux -sma -d syslinux o:
which is in four simular messages from the same poster.
(being persistent is good (making progress is better))

On http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/SYSLINUX
is an example that says
  syslinux.exe -m -a -d /boot/syslinux z:

So now I'm curious what happens on WIN98SE when
  syslinux -s -m -a -d /syslinux o:
is executed. (note the extra spaces, dashes & slash ( ' ', '-' & '/' ))

Cheers
Geert Stappers
happy user of pxelinux

March03,2010

Sorry for the delay. My "outgoing mail server was down!

[1}
This is for your information please >
I have 2(two) Hardisks following is Detailed Directory Structure:

Hard Disk 1 >

Partition 1 > Primary >Drive C: >Installed Win98

Partition 2 > Extended >Drive E: >Installed Win2000

Partition 3 > Extended  >Drive F: >Installed  WinXP

Partition 4 > Extended  >Drive G: >Data

Partition 5 > Extended  >Drive H: >Data

Partition 6 > Extended  >Drive I: >Data

Hard Disk 2 >

Partition 1 >Primary >Drive D: >Installed Win98 (used as stand by)

Partition 2 > Extended  >Drive J: >Data

Partition 3 > Extended  >Drive K: >Data

Partition 4 > Extended  >Drive L: >Data

CD Rom Drive1 >M:

CD Rom Drive2 >N:

Removable Drive Recognized as O:
[2]Here is a fresh report for your perusal >

C:\WINDOWS>format o: /s

WARNING, ALL DATA ON DISK
DRIVE O: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N)?y

Checking existing disk format.
Verifying 483.48M
Format complete.
System transferred

Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)?

  506,699,776 bytes total disk space
      409,600 bytes used by system
  506,290,176 bytes available on disk

        8,192 bytes in each allocation unit.
       61,803 allocation units available on disk.

Volume Serial Number is 1A5A-0DE0

C:\WINDOWS>

Microsoft(R) Windows 98
   (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.

C:\WINDOWS>cd c:\syslin~1.85\dos

C:\syslinux-3.85\DOS>syslinux -s -m -a -d /syslinux o:
syslinux: warning: cannot move ldlinux.sys
syslinux: partition not found (-a is not implemented for logical
partitions)

C:\syslinux-3.85\DOS>

Thank you

Prof S W Damle