[syslinux] Can PXElinux be used to dynamically pass DHCP option 252 to a PXE client?

Martijn Olivier Tigchelaar motigchelaar at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:47:07 PST 2010

Yes - I did come across that option after I posted my message. And it works fine when I type in the commands manually.

Here is what I do whilst i'm still testing and trying to figure out how to automate this:

- I boot into pxelinux and start vesamenu.c32

- In the menu, I have an option to start gpxelinux.0

- I select the gPXE menu entry to start gpxelinu.0

- I press Ctrl-B to get to the prompt

- I type in:

-- dhcp net0 (this gets me a new ip...)

-- set net0/252:string Path\to\BCD\file\for\Microsoft\bootmgr.exe

-- kernel pxeboot.0 (this file was renamed from "pxeboot..n12")

-- boot

The above then loads "pxeboot.0" with my tailored DHCP option 252 pointig to a valid BCD file. "pxeboot.0" gets me to "bootmgr.exe" and "bootmgr.exe" loads the BCD file that the DHCP option 252 points to.

Now - how do I do all of this WITHOUT having to type these commands in manually?

Ideally, I want to have a menu system where the different options listed depend on a different string to be passed in the DHCP option 252 field. For example:

- Menu option "Windows PE 3" may need DHCP option 252 set to "winpe3.bcd"

- Menu option "Windows 7 BM deploy" may need DHCP option 252 set to "win7bm.bcd"

- and so on.

Martijn